EU Audiovisual and Media Policies - Call for Tender
The European Union invites tenders
from individuals or organisations to carry out research on film archiving policy related to digitisation.
Challenges of the digital era for film heritage institutions - SMART 2010/0001.
* Tender procedure in the field of Media policy
* Prior information notice: available in all languages on OJ S 247-353250 of 23/12/2009
* Contract notice concerning public service to be awarded by a open procedure: publication available in all languages on OJ 2010/S 108-163209 of 05/06/2010
* Time-limit for receipt of tenders or requests to participate is 1.9.2010 - 16:00
* Short description:
1. Describing in detail the challenges that film heritage institutions are facing in relation to digital production or distribution of cinematographic works (in cinemas or via new channels of distribution).
2. Establishing which kinds of legal/organisational/technical changes have to be introduced to ensure that film archives will continue to perform their role in the digital era.
3. Analysing the situation in the 27 Member States: are film archives and national administrations aware of the challenge? Are they already introducing changes or have they planned to do so? Identify problems and best practices.
4. Analysing the situation in film heritage institutions in USA and compare it with EU-27.
5. Describing the strategies of American majors and large European production companies for preservation of their digital films.
6. Providing feasible recommendations and a calendar to Member States and film heritage institutions on how to prepare for the digital era.
7. Providing policy options for EU action.
Deadline = 1 September 2010.